Why Do We Have Funerals?
For thousands of years, funerals have been a means of expressing our beliefs, thoughts, and feelings about the death of someone we love.
The Funeral Ceremony:
- Helps us acknowledge that someone we love has died
- Allows us to say goodbye
- Provides a social support system for us and other friends and family members
- Allows us to search for the meaning of life and death
- Offers continuity and hope for the living
Meaningful funeral ceremonies are rites of passage. They help us move from life before death to life after death. The funeral provides us a safe place to express our feelings of loss.
Why Select Walter Funeral Home?
There are many considerations when selecting a funeral home. Naturally, we consider honesty and integrity. You should consider reputation, location and price. We feel we have an outstanding combination of all these, as well as a dedicated professional staff. We are proud of our firm and would like to list some reasons why you should choose Walter Funeral Home.
- Locally owned and managed with a full time professional staff of licensed funeral directors and embalmers. We are your neighbors and people you can depend on … today and tomorrow.
- One of our licensed staff is here to greet you and answer your telephone calls… 24 hours a day.
- We have a staff trained to guide you through prearrangements or the important details of a complete and personalized at-need funeral service.
- Our convenient south end location is designed to provide our families with ample space and amenities, such as kitchen facilities and special family rooms. We take special pride in providing a clean and comfortable facility.
- We care about the people of our community. Our commitment to the community extends beyond our profession. We make a special effort to be involved with service organizations that improve the quality of life for the surrounding community.
- We invite you to experience a new perspective in funeral service planning by visiting our new Family Resource Center. Our Resource Center allows families to make the difficult and unpleasant task of planning a funeral less intimidating and time consuming. We can help with all your planning needs by offering caskets, vaults and Urns, inspirational cards, keepsake mementos and gifts, family flowers and many other items to help you express your sympathy to a loved one or friend.
People often ask if they choose cremation, can they still have a viewing and service. Yes, you can. Most families who choose cremation also have a viewing and service or remembrance ceremony. The funeral or memorial service can take place prior to or following the cremation. Our directors will answer all your questions concerning the many cremation options available. Our cremation packages start at $995.
The custom of burial still remains the primary choice of final disposition in our community. Traditional burial services also have many options available. Our burial packages start at $1465.
At Walter Funeral Home, we offer a complete line of quality funeral merchandise:
- Burial Vaults
- Cremation Urns
- Memorial DVD production
- Keepsake Mementos
- Pet Urns
The funeral industry has changed in many different ways over the years. One of the most significant changes has been the development of large National Corporations and companies buying up family owned funeral homes and private cemeteries all across the United States and Canada. In most cases these large companies spend thousands of dollars to advertise their discounted Service fee, in comparison to existing family business, to attract customers. Consumers need to understand that the total cost of a funeral is made up of several components: service charges of the funeral home, casket , burial vault or urn, printed memorial packages such as prayer/memorial cards, guest book, acknowledgement cards, memorial contributions envelopes and expenses outside of the funnel home such as cemetery fees, obituary/death notice charges by the newspaper, flowers and any other cash advanced items.
Therefore, if you are not comparing all the components that make up the cost of a funeral, you are not comparing apples to apples. A lower advertised “service fee” does not mean a lower bottom line. Remember “a wise consumer is an informed consumer.”
Walter Funeral Home is a family owned local business that has served this community for over 115 years. We live here, raise and educate our children here, worship here and support other local businesses in our community as your neighbors and friends. Our commitment to you is to provide compassionate personal service at a fair and competitive price.